ADSM-L

Re: How can I extend the recover log volume?

1997-01-06 20:28:25
Subject: Re: How can I extend the recover log volume?
From: Andy Raibeck <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 17:28:25 PST
Julie Xu asks:

>I need more space for recovery log.  Can I expend the available space
>in the current log volume.

>Available Assigned   Maximum   Maximum  Page  Total    Used %Util Max.
>  Space   Capacity Extension Reduction  Size Usable   Pages      %Util
>--------  -------- --------- ---------  ----  -----   ----- ----  ----
>    20       20        0         0     4,096  4,608   4,416 95.8  96.2

>f I have to define another volume, how can I let server know the new
>olume need to append to original one.

If your server is still running, you need to:

1) Run the 'dsmfmt' utility to allocate and format a new volume

2) Use the DEFINE LOGVOLUME command to define the new volume to ADSM

3) Use the EXTEND LOG command to extend the size of the recovery log.

If your server is down and can't be started because the recovery log is full,
you can use the 'dsmserv extend log' command as described in the ADSM server
README file. I've excerpted a portion here:

========== Excerpted from the ADSM server README file =========================
To provide for extending the recovery log in this situation, ADSM has
provided the EXTEND LOG parameter for the dsmserv program.  You can use
this parameter to extend the recovery log using an additional recovery
log volume so that the server can be started with sufficient recovery
log space to initialize and perform the needed database backup.

The syntax for the EXTEND LOG command is as follows:

    dsmserv extend log <volname> <mb>

Where:

    <volname> specifies the name of a new, formatted recovery log
              volume that should be used for the extension of the
              recovery log.

    <mb> - specifies the size in megabytes that the recovery log should
           be extended.  This specification should be a multiple of 4
           and should be at least 1 megabyte less than the size of
           the volume specified with the <volname> parameter.

The dsmfmt program can be used to allocate and format the recovery log
volume.

Hope this helps,

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support