ADSM-L

Re: Million File Limit

1997-01-05 09:52:45
Subject: Re: Million File Limit
From: David Hendrix <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 08:52:45 -0600
My two cents:

It is not surprising to hear of a rumor like that coming from the LISA
conference.  I attended the '95 conference and although I thought it was
worthwhile, I had to slog through the vendor bias exhibited by most
presenters.

This is not surprising when you read on page 3 in UNIX SYSTEM
Administration Handbook - Second Edition (a very good admin book BTW),
by Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass and Trent R. Hein:

"IBM, backward as ever, flogs a weirdo product called AIX, which they
deny stands for "Ain't UNIX." It's, ah, UNIX-compatible?"

Ms. Nemeth and Mr. Hein presented for Advanced Topics in System
Administration, where Ms. Nemeth reiterated the above sentiments about
AIX.

Since I use HP-UX, Solaris and AIX, the conference is still useful.
Just remember that some of the presenters have some bias and you'll need
to ignore the "rumors and garbage" that goes along with the nuggets of
information.

David Hendrix
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com