ADSM-L

Re: Tape Relaimation question

1996-12-16 12:20:33
Subject: Re: Tape Relaimation question
From: Tom Denier <tom AT STAFF.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 12:20:33 -0500
Jerry Lawson wrote:
> We have a tape stgpool that we do not want to add any more tapes to - we want
> all tapes to go into a new pool.  Now setting up the migration path for the
> newpool was easy - just changed the pointers in the dasd stgpool to point to
> the new tape pool.  The question now is " for reclaims in the old pool, how do
> we get the new tape to be allocated in the new pool?"  Looks to us as though
> reclaims are satisfied within the same pool.  We tried marking the pool Read
> Only, but that didn't seem to help.  Is there any way to do what I want (which
> is to slowly drain the old pool into the new pool as tapes are reclaimed)?

The only way I can think of to get this effect is to suppress ADSM's
reclaim processeing entirely, query the old tape pool every so often,
and run MOVE DATA commands against tapes that are sufficiently close
to being empty. The MOVE DATA command can specify an output storage
pool different from the input storage pool. Unfortunately, automating
this process would be rather messy. For one thing, the MOVE DATA
command normally prompts for interactive input. For another thing,
the MOVE DATA command finishes execution almost immediately but leaves
behind a background process that ties up two tape drives for a
significant period.