ADSM-L

Some ADSM questions

1996-11-29 06:57:42
Subject: Some ADSM questions
From: "Alan R.White" <arw AT TIPPER.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 11:57:42 -0000
Hi

Just to introduce myself first of all. I run a small technical support team
and amongst one of our tasks is an ADSM server. It runs on an SP/6000 node
and backs up to 4 3590 drives in a 3494.

We're experiencing some problems scaling up, i.e. more data, more clients.
One of our big problems is Oracle databases. Its all regular unix files but
the storage managers are not Oracle trained and occasionally they fall foul
of this sometimes not restoring databases properly. We've heard of Oracles
Enterprise Backup utility but Oracle claim it needs a bit of software
(other than the ADSM API) from IBM before it will work. Can anyone shed any
light on this?

Our account rep tells us that the ADSM server performs worse on SMP
machines than on say 590 type machines. Is this true? I would like to use a
high-node for backup as it has plenty of MCA slots for SCSI controllers for
the tapes.

All help welcome!

Alan White