ADSM-L

Re: ADSM database handling basics

1996-11-26 16:02:47
Subject: Re: ADSM database handling basics
From: David Hendrix <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 15:02:47 -0600
Zvi Bar-Deroma wrote:

> I am just starting with ADSM and have to plan its database. From the little
> I already know I understand the database is very crucial in ADSM's operation
> and care must be taken to protect it. From the FAQ (in ADSTAR's site) I
> understood that ADSM can backup its database (although intuitively this
> seems far from being trivial), and that it can implement mirroring by
> itself (unrelated to the OS'es, AIX in my case, mirroring).
>
> Am I (more or less) correct with the above ?
>
> Nonetheless, I don't feel confident in having ADSM backup its own db, and
> my idea was to have its db reside on the rootvg, which will be a 4.3 GB
> disk with mirroring (2 copies). That way, occasional mksysb (or sysback)
> backups should leave me on a quiet secure track. I am not sure of the db size,
> but please read about in later. Does that sound like a reasonable strategy,
> at least to begin with ?
>
> As for db size, any rule of thumb for calculating its size ? For the first
> year, I think I'll have about 20-30 GB of disk to backup, with <= 20 clients
> and between 200,000 and 300,000 files (total). On the average I'd like to have
> 3 copies of each file. Can anyone give me a fair assumption of the required db
> size ? I guess that's it's (mainly) a function of the # of files and # of
> copies of each file.
>
> TIA,
> /Zvika
>
> Zvika Bar-Deroma
> Systems and Network manager                       Phone: (+972)-4-829-2706
> Faculty of Aerospace Engineering,                 Fax  : (+972)-4-823-1848
> Technion                                          Home phone:
> Haifa 32000                                              (+972)-4-823-5562
> Israel
>
> Internet      :   zvika AT aeserv.technion.ac DOT il
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zvika,

You are correct about backup and mirroring.  I find it to be trivial (my
DB backups run each day via the ADSM admin scheduler).

I would rely mainly on the ADSM database backups.  Refer to the
documentation in the admin guide on roll-forward recovery and
point-in-time recovery with and without devconfig and volhist files.
You will not have these options using a mksysb, or if you can recover,
may have to perform a painful and very time consuming audit.

I have performed recoveries 4-5 times utilizing ADSM facilities without
a problem (on both version 1 and 2 servers).  I do take mksysb's, but
only for the OS.  Once that is restored, I use ADSM to restore itself.
One of my servers where I have performed these recoveries on is 4GB with
approx. 8.5M files and was recovered without a problem.

As far as sizing goes, it's the standard 800*#files+200*#copies in copy
storage pools.

Hope this helps. JMO.

David Hendrix
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com