ADSM-L

Removing optional components after Solaris 2.5 install

1996-11-24 13:50:17
Subject: Removing optional components after Solaris 2.5 install
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 13:50:17 EST
One of my users installed all of the optional components that come with
the Solaris 2.5 ADSM client and would now like to get rid of what he
doesn't need, in order to reduce disk usage.

The installation instructions say that three components are optional:

* 5) The components IBMDSMbas, IBMDSMadm, and IBMDSMapi can be
*    selectively installed in /opt/IBMDSMbas, /opt/IBMDSMadm, and
*    /opt/IBMDSMapi directories.

The instructions don't explain what these are.  I'm guessing that the
one ending "api" is the API code and that the one ending "adm" is an
administrative client.  Can anyone verify those conjectures?  What is
the one ending "bas"?

The directories he actually ended up with were:

   /opt/IBMDSMap5
   /opt/IBMDSMba5
   /opt/IBMDSMsa5
   /opt/IBMDSMsm5

Which does he really need for simple backup/archive/restore/retrieve
use (no HSM support needed)?  Should he use pkgrm to remove the unneeded
portions or just erase the directories?

Melinda Varian,
Princeton University