ADSM-L

Re[2]: Windows NT scheduler client running as a Service

1996-11-22 16:10:24
Subject: Re[2]: Windows NT scheduler client running as a Service
From: Viet Chu <Viet_Chu AT CCMAIL.PRUSEC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:10:24 -0500
     Kelly,

     The new ADSM 32-bit client is very particular to the specifics of
     the NT Service Name you have registered to run.  If you are doing a
     new install, make sure that 'ADSM Central Scheduler Service' is the
     ADSM Client Service Name when you run the DSMCSVCI.EXE utility to
     register ADSM as a true NT service.  If you are doing an upgrade,
     check first in ControlPanel/Services to see what is the exact name
     that is registered.  Run the DSMCSVCI.EXE to remove the existing
     service, be sure to supply the exact name of the ADSM Scheduler
     that is registered.  When the removal is successful, run Install to
     install the new service.  This part is crucial to a successful
     install, make sure the ADSM Client Service Name is 'ADSM Central
     Scheduler Service', nothing else.

     As to the TCP/IP problem, I could go on.  However, make sure that the
DSM.OPT file is correct, pointing to the right host, etc., and is sitting in the
BACLIENT directory.  The same DSM.OPT file should sit in the SACLIENT directory
too if you are running the Adminstrative client from this node.  Be sure the
executable you are running is the new one.  On upgrades, one could get confused
because the install does not delete the old executables and their icons.  My
solutions for your TCP/IP problem assume that you have successfully registered
that particular node to your ADSM server.

Hope this helps,
==Viet==

Author:  Kelly Root <kroot1 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM> at INTERNET
Date:    11/22/96 1:59 PM

I have installed ADSM WIN-32 bit on numerous NT 4.0 workstations & servers.
Sometimes the
scheduler installs correctly and I don't have any problems and other times
I get the following errors:
getKeyHandle<>: RegOpenKeyEx: WIN RC2
RegOpenPathEX<>:KeyOpen failed

Error opening registry path 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ADSM Central
Scheduler Service'

When I look in the Event Viewer I get:

Service Control Manager
The ADSM Central Scheduler Service failed to start.

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion.

Also when I try to run a backup manually I get a TCP/IP error. I have had
our 'TCP/IP Expert' look at the setup and he said it looks good.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?