ADSM-L

Password Chaos with 32-bit Windows Client

1996-11-20 11:39:38
Subject: Password Chaos with 32-bit Windows Client
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 11:39:38 EST
We are testing the latest 32-bit Windows client and I'm beginning to
despair of ever having a reasonable client for our Windows 95 users.

If we configure DSM.OPT to have a PASSWORD line, then the user is not
prompted for a password when he invokes the backup/restore GUI.

If we specify PASSWORD GENERATE and enter the password through the
Scheduler GUI during the open registration process, then the user is not
prompted again for the password when using the Scheduler GUI.

Neither of these methods works for both GUIs, however.  The password
must be set both ways in order for the user not to be prompted.

Worse:  if the user uses the pull-down menu to change his password,
that changes it *only* on the server.  It does not change it in DSM.OPT,
nor does it change it wherever it's stored by PASSWORD GENERATE.

So, we must give the user a procedure for changing his password in
THREE places.  This is not acceptable.

I hope somebody will tell me that I don't understand what's going on
and that there is a simple solution to all of this.

Melinda Varian,
Princeton University