ADSM-L

Tape Pull Lists

1996-11-20 13:53:29
Subject: Tape Pull Lists
From: Jim Dew <jadew AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 10:53:29 -0800
Has Anyone come up with a way to generate a fairly accurate list of tapes
that ADSM will use in the next backup and reclamation cycles? We're
running ADSM 2.1 on MVS backing up several AIX and OS/2 servers.  It
looks like we're mounting 100-120 tapes per day about 80% of those are
specific mount requests. Our operator's are being run ragged from the
frequent trips to the tape vault.

Ideally we'd like to have most, if not all, of the tapes we'll use each
day pulled and staged for ADSM processing. Unfortunately, we do not have
a robotic tape subsystem.

We tried generating a list by querying the server database for tapes in a
 readw and reado status and access=onsite.  We then extracted the volumes
that were below our reclamation threshold and in a filling status. The
list that resulted still not have many of the volumes needed because
"virtual" reclamation of the copy storage pool volumes that are stored
off-site.

Any ideas would be greatly appreceiated. IBMers: is this something that
is being addressed in a fututre release.

Jim Dew
Quantum Chemical Company
jadew AT ibm DOT net