ADSM-L

Re: Log Files

1996-11-19 18:32:54
Subject: Re: Log Files
From: Chester Martel <cmartel AT PEACH.FRUIT DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:32:54 -0600
Francisco Franco wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> We are using ADSTAR to back-up our user files on AIX 3.2.5.  On
> each of the system using it, the following two files keep getting
> created in the root paritition:
>
> dsmerror.log
> dsmsched.log
>
> Now, these files can get quite big.  Can I force or set these files
> to be stored on any particular directory (ie "/var").  I've
> been reading the "Administrator's Guide" without much success.
>
> My next step is to do a symbolic link from "/var" to these files.
> Is there another way?
>
> TIA
> --
> Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca
> Ontario Hydro                   tel:    (416) 592-9477
> 700 University Ave              fax:    (416)
> Toronto, Ont.

You can change the location of the dsmsched.log file by using the
schedlogname entry in dsm.sys, you can also prune this log by
using the schedlogretention parameter ( I use 10 d).  Your error
log should not be that big and/or growing, my log is only 13k in size
since July of 1996.  Your schedule log will grow but if you use the
retention parameter and not move your existing file it should get
pruned.  I put all my schedule log on a shared file system so I only
have to look in one place.