ADSM-L

General concerns about SYBASE backups

1996-11-18 14:09:58
Subject: General concerns about SYBASE backups
From: Peter Carranti <carrantip AT NIMO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 15:09:58 EDT
Hello,

Background:

We currently run ADMS/MVS v2.1.10 with multiple unix clients (AIX, HP-UX,
SUN).  Many of these client machines have SYBASE databases.  We also have begun
using Datatools SQL-BackTrack to backup these SYBASE DB's and have started
testing BackTrack's ADSM api interface.
We back up these clients to mainfram dasd and 3490-type tape libraries....very
reliable.

The Data Base Administrators here control the backup environment for mainframe
(IMS, DB2, etc) database backups and also for the SYBASE database backups.
Until the addition of BackTrack, they have been doing manual backups to local
8mm tape drives for the SYBASE DB's.  They therefore know and control which
DB's are backed up to which specific tape and can back up log files to
different tapes to assure they remain separate.  They are secure in the
knowledge that specific data exists on specific tapes and this makes them very
comfortable.  However, the tape manipulation  is very manual for both DBA's and
operators.

These DBA's do like the automation of ADSM, but they are having trouble
accepting ADSM not doing periodic full backups with either differential or
incremental "traditional" backups.  Also, they are not very accepting of the
lack of control over specific tape volumes containing their backups.

The following are some questions raised regarding ADSM in general and
SQL-BackTrack.  I realize this might better be addressed directly with
Datatools, but perhaps someone out there has had some experience in answering
these questions are their shop.

1.  Can ADSM avoid having SYBASE databases and log files backed up to the same
tape in the same backup session to avoid integrity problems?

2. Can you assure that more than one copy of a database won't reside on the
same tape given that reclaimation can move data freely between tapes?  What if
all the backups for a given database end up (via reclaimation) on the same
tape?

3. Can ADSM execute a "dual-copy" function, thereby creating 2 copies of a
database backup.

4. How do SQL-Backtrack backups appear to ADSM.  Does ADSM care or does it just
act as a repository for what BackTrack sends it?  Can you tell via ADSM
commands the "what's", "where's", and "how many's" of BackTrack database
backups?

Any successes and/or horror stories would be helpful to me  in trying to gain
support for what we consider the product of choice.

Thanks,

Peter Carranti
Niagara Mohawk Power Corp.
Syracuse, NY