ADSM-L

Windows NT scheduler client running as a Service

1996-11-17 09:06:42
Subject: Windows NT scheduler client running as a Service
From: Chris Halstead <halstead AT WORLDNET.ATT DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 09:06:42 -0500
Hello all,=20
I'm relatively new to ADSM and was wondering if anyone out there could =
tell me if they have run the NT client as an NT Service.  We are =
currently running ADSM on MVS to back up Netware servers, and we would =
like to include our NT servers. The problem is starting the client =
automatically.  We have installed the client on an NT box, and it works =
great, except for the fact that you have to manually start it.  The ADSM =
installation guide suggests starting the client at a preset time every =
day using NT's built-in AT scheduler, but if you don't stop the client =
you end up with multiple instances running at once.  The ADSM manual =
states that the client cannot run as a service, but I'm not sure if they =
mean that it will not work if set up as a service, or if they mean that =
it isn't capable of it right out of the box.  There are utilities to set =
up an executable as a service under NT, but before I tried it I thought =
I'd see if any one else has done it with the ADSM client.

Thanks in advance...

Chris Halstead, MCSE
Network Engineer
John H. Harland Co.