ADSM-L

Re: HSM connection

1996-11-15 10:24:34
Subject: Re: HSM connection
From: "Eliza.Lau AT vt DOT edu" <LAU AT VTCC1.CC.VT DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:24:34 -0500
> I have an ADSM AIX client who just implemented the Space Management
> client.  Everything seems to be working fine, except on my MVS server,
> level 2.1.10, I see a session starting with this client every 5 minutes
> around the clock, and ending after 1 second.  I looked at his client
> setup and can find nothing unusual, but, not being a UNIX person, I'm
> not sure what I'm looking at half the time.  Is this constant connection
> -disconnection normal behaviour for the HSM client or do we have some-
> thing set wrong somewhere.
> Thanks
>
> Sam Sheppard
> San Diego Data Processing Corp.
> (619)-581-9668
> shs AT sddpc.sannet DOT gov

It has happened to me.  One of the client's filesystem has exceeded its
high threshold.  Every 5 minutes dsmautomig runs and tries to migrate files
but is not able to.  Look at the candidate list under
/yourfilesystem/.SpaceMan/candidates.  I bet it is empty.

There are several possibilities why the canidate list cannot be built.
Check the mgmtclass and see if files have to be backed up before they are
migrated.  If migrequiresbkup=y then no migration will happen before the
filesystem is backed up.   Check automignonuse to see how many days must
elapse before files can migrate.  Also check the quota on the server for this
filesystem (dsmmigfs q /filesystem).

If nothing is eligible for migration, increase the size of this file system
or increase the migration high threshold.

 Eliza Lau
 Eliza Lau
 Virginia Tech Computing Center                Internet : eliza.lau AT vt DOT
edu
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
 1700 Pratt Drive
 Blacksburg VA 24060                            Voice   : (540) 231-9399