ADSM-L

Re: On minimizing client HD restore time

1996-11-14 10:05:32
Subject: Re: On minimizing client HD restore time
From: Tom Denier <tom AT STAFF.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:05:32 -0500
I have also been looking into ways to improve the efficiency of ADSM tape
management. It looks to me as if we could save a lot of work if we could
do one of the following things:

1.Have files with different management classes share a disk storage pool
but subsequently migrate to different tape storage pools.

2.Have multiple disk storage pools share a pool of physical disk space,
with space automatically allocated to different pools as needed.

Either capability would allow us to segregate a few groups of large files
with high turnover onto separate tapes. These tapes would never need
reclamation; a given tape would become empty when all the files on it
expired (which would happen a couple of weeks after the last write to
the tape). Tapes containing ordinary client files would still need
reclamation, but the number of reclamation operations per week would
be much lower than it is now.