ADSM-L

Re: Netware Include question: Backing up another server

1996-11-08 17:30:56
Subject: Re: Netware Include question: Backing up another server
From: Francisco Reyes <reyes01 AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 17:30:56 -0500
On Fri, 8 Nov 1996 15:48:06 -0500, Jerry Lawson wrote:

>I did find that this was a slow process - when we tried to back up large
>files, performance dropped on both machines, to the point where we got
>performance calls.   This was on older processors (386 50 Mhz machines, most
>likely) so if you are running a faster chip, it may not be an issue.

Right now I don't have a choice. One of the servers is an SFT-III box
and there seems to be memory leaks. After a few days ADSM was
crashing one engine. A support rep from IBM said that when they got
SFT-III 3.X to work was by backing it from another server. He also
mentioned that ADSM was SFT-III 4.X certified so hopefully when we
get our 4.X SFT-III I will try again to back it up directly.

>Since all of our machines are in the building anyway, we found that while this
>did work, there was no real advantage to it, and so don't do it any more.  For
>one thing, there is a lot of Network overhead, since files are moved from one
>server to the other before they are sent to ADSM, so in essence, there is
>double I/O for every file moved.

I just tried the Domain option and it worked. I will check how slow
it is compared to when I was doing directly.