ADSM-L

Re: [3] ADSM install on NT client using 32 bit ADSM at IP208

1996-11-07 13:56:36
Subject: Re: [3] ADSM install on NT client using 32 bit ADSM at IP208
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 13:56:36 EST
On Thu, 7 Nov 1996 11:04:03 -0500 Mike Dile said:

>>Question:  When installing the software on a client I
>>get to disk 4 and  half way through or so. I get a pop up window stating
>>"Some files could not be installed because they are currently in use by
>>other programs in the system ...etc...."  It asks me if I want to
>>reboot my machine now or wait.  After rebooting I tested the new version
>>and it looks fine.  What files did I not unload? And what do I have to
>>do to get them loaded?  What files were in use?  Has anyone ran into this.
>
>This message is issued when the installation needs to replace/uplevel
>some DLLs that are in use by other apps on your system (for example
>MFC40.DLL, MSVCRT40.DLL) Since you likely have other MFC based
>applications on your system I suspect this is why you receive
>this message. InstallShield completes the DLL installation when
>the machine is rebooted.
>
>Hope this helps answer your question.
>
>Mike Dile
>ADSM Client Development

Hello Mike

This answer does bring up another question. Is there a list of common
files that are replaced by adsm? What happens if we had a newer
copy of (for example MFC40.DLL) one of these files on the workstation
before the adsm install? Will it be backleveled by the adsm install?

Thanks len

PS What level of InstallShield are you using?

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513