ADSM-L

RE: NT 4.0 workstation mystery - case SRX 961017601192

2015-10-04 18:12:14
Subject: RE: NT 4.0 workstation mystery - case SRX 961017601192
From: Greg Nichols
To: 'Thomas, Dave'
Dave:

As we had discussed, we are dealing with an unknown issue ( I can find
no references to a similar occurrence) I suspect was related to the
installation of the ADSM client then using other functions before
configuring the ADSM client.  I assume the client was configured
immediately by the administrator on the machines that did not have a
problem.

Another possibility is that this is file or registry corruption that was
unrelated to any software interaction, it could have been a hard drive
or SCSI adapter problem.  If it's the hard drive, the low-level format
via the SCSI adapter utility will probably solve this issue.  It would
be a good idea to check out the hardware on this machine, particularly
the motherboard and SCSI adapter, as comprehensively as possible.

As some client and application software has not been extensively tested
against NT 4.0, it is always wise to check with the vendors of such
software to determine if they have any configuration experience or
advice regarding interaction with NT 4.0; it is hard to predict the
behavior of all such software without testing.

Your strategy to recover has been sound, to reiterate our strategy for a
safe migration to NT, it would be to:

1.  Make a tested backup of working 3.51 installations before upgrading
2.  Stopping all third party services and clients (when feasible) before
upgrading
3.  As new software is installed, a backup is made before installation,
then aggressive testing of the software, one component at at time, is
done until stability is assured.
4.  Check with software vendors to assure that their components have
been tested, and no problems noted, under NT 4.0.

If I hear anything specific about interoperability issues with ADSM,
I'll be glad to let you know; please forward me any information you have
as well.  Thanks, and

Best regards,

Greg Nichols
Microsoft Windows NT Support