ADSM-L

NT Server backup over WAN to AS400 (automated, unattended, and scheduled at night)??

1996-10-04 09:39:37
Subject: NT Server backup over WAN to AS400 (automated, unattended, and scheduled at night)??
From: Herb Garcia <HGARCIA AT WORLDNET.ATT DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 09:39:37 -0400
>  I need to backup 5 Windows NT Servers over a Frame-Relay 384kb WAN to a
> centralized site, total of about 10 Gigbytes of data.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with any product?  In addition to NT Servers,
> I have 1 Novell Server and one IBM AS/400 in the central office home
> headquarters where all of our IS Staff is located. I need to perform a remote
> backup of five NT Servers (automatic, unattended, and scheduled at night...of
> course) over a WAN.  Any comments, suggestions, experiences????  Backing up
> about 10 Gigbytes total.
>
> I was thinking of using IBM's ADSTAR  Distributed Storage Manager (ADSM) for
> AS/400.  According to product literature, it will back up NT Server clients
> to AS/400 Tape devices which run faster and have higher storage capacities
> than Server products. Does anyone have any experience with this product?  I
> was hoping it would allow me to standardize on one backup solution for all
> servers, locations, etc....

The plan was to have the AS400 concurrently backup all 5 remote site NT
servers to disk on the As400, and then flush it out to tape when
finished.  The next night we would resuse the same disk space on the
AS400 and keep using it as a buffer.  We plan to use an AS400 high speed
tape drive 3590 with an autoloader.

Is anyone out there doing anything similar over a WAN?  How about
locally backing up NT servers to the AS400 using ADSM?

Any advice, warnings, gotcha's, or comments would greatly be
appreciated. I'd be happy to converse by telephone or email.

Herb Garcia
(203) 326-6055
Connecticut, USA

Pitney Bowes Management Services