ADSM-L

Kudos for Win 32 Admin GUI....... but

1996-09-24 14:41:15
Subject: Kudos for Win 32 Admin GUI....... but
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:41:15 -0400
Date:     September 24, 1996            Time:    13:42
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (860) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
First the Good News!
First the Good News!

The Developers of the 32 bit Windows ADSM Admin GUI deserve congratulations.
It seems to me to be well thought out, overall consistent with the OS/2 GUI
Admin, and in some cases, even performs better.  While I haven't checked out
all the features yet, I am very pleased.

Unfortunately, the installation process for the Level 5 PTF for the 32 bit
client is such a mess that I cannot in good conscience give it to anyone to
try to install.  Something that does not clean up the old release, and require
s two DSM.OPT files to run is in effect uninstallable at my shop.  Can we get
this fixed for the level 6 and go back to a single directory for both the
client and the admin, and follow that basic rule we all learned in Kindergarte
n "CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF!"  Until that time - I will not propagate this
release unless someone is directly complaining of a bug that this release
fixes.

There is one other potential bad effect here - if my management finds out that
there is a fully functional admin client available for Win95, I will have to
convert from OS/2 to the Corporate Standard Platform.  Now please everyone -
Don't tell my boss.  :-)

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com

PS - does anyone else find this installation to be a problem?