ADSM-L

Re: Limiting backups by file size

1996-09-24 09:40:21
Subject: Re: Limiting backups by file size
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 06:40:21 PDT
Bill Fitzsimons asks:
 <william.fitzsimons AT USSU.MHS.CIBA DOT COM>
 Subject:      Limiting backups by file size
 To:           Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

>I am in the process of rolling out ADSM to our Netware based MS Mail system.
> Since the clients don't listen or care about the size of their mail files
>(I have a growing number of users whose mail files exceed 50meg) I was
>wondering if there was a way to bypass/skip incremental processing of a file
>that exceed a specified size parameter.

No, ADSM does not provide a mechanism for doing something like this. However,
I'd be wary of implementing a backup scheme based on file size, especially for
files that can grow or shrink. Then whether they are backed up or not becomes
unpredictable.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support