ADSM-L

New client ptfs -- thrills, then disappointment!

1996-09-19 13:09:00
Subject: New client ptfs -- thrills, then disappointment!
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:09:00 -0400
Text item: Untitled
I downloaded the new os2 readme to review what was fixed.  One item was --

  IC12406 - Now allow COMPRESSALWAYS option to be used with the
  backup/archive client as well as the API client

I thought, this is great, something I have been wanting for a long time.
(it has to do with pushing the txnbytelimit up high to improve
performance).

But this description was to brief, so I got on IBMLink and looked up the
full apar text (included below).  Then the disappointment!  It seemed to
say that compressalways would be tolerated in the dsm.opt, not that it
would actually function.  I put compressalways in the dsm.opt and tried it
with the old client (2.1.03).  Sure enough, it barfed on the invalid
option.  I then installed the new client, and it didn't barf on the option,
but the option didn't provide any function.

Bill Colwell
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
Cambridge Ma.
- - apar text from IBMLink  - - -
Item IC12406

  APAR Identifier ...... IC12406      Last Changed ........ 96/05/16
  WITH THE AIX B/A, IF AN API OPTION IS ENCOUNTERED, AN ERROR IS
  ISSUED, OUR CODE SHOULD BE ABLE TO QUIETLY IGNORE THE OPTION
  Symptom ...... IN INCORROUT         Status ........... CLOSED  PER
  Severity ................... 4      Date Closed ......... 96/05/16
  Component .......... 565511902      Duplicate of ........
  Reported Release ......... AD1      Fixed Release ............ 999
  Component Name ADSM CLIENTS V2      Special Notice
  Current Target Date ..96/08/01      Flags
  SCP ................... PC/DOS
  Platform ............ DOS
  Status Detail: Not Available
  PE PTF List:
  PTF List:
  Release AA1   : PTF not available yet
  Release AC1   : PTF not available yet
  Release AD1   : PTF not available yet
  Release ADJ   : PTF not available yet
  Release AE1   : PTF not available yet
  Release AEJ   : PTF not available yet
  Release AF1   : PTF not available yet
  Release AG1   : PTF not available yet
  Release AH1   : PTF not available yet

  Parent APAR:
  Child APAR list:

  ERROR DESCRIPTION:
  A new option has been added to the API (COMPRESSAlways)
  which is documented in the README.API.  If the option is
  accidentally included in the options file for the B/A client,
  an error occurs which states invalid entry.
  Why can't the rest of the ADSM components ignore these options
  that only exist in the API function if it exists in a global
  dsm.opt file.  In other workds, the option be allowed to
  exist peacefully in the dsm.opt file without causing the ADSM
  client to fail.

  LOCAL FIX:

  PROBLEM SUMMARY:
  * USERS AFFECTED: All ADSM clients                             *
  * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: The COMPRESSALWAYS option is unique to  *
  *         the API clients.  If it appears in the options file  *
  *         of a backup/archive client, then when a backup/archiv*
  *         command is issued, the command fails with an error   *
  *         message about an invalid entry in the options file.  *
  *         Instead, it should be ignored, or it should be       *
  *         accepted and processed by the backup/archive client. *
  * RECOMMENDATION: Apply the CSD when available.                *

  PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
  Now allow COMPRESSALWAYS option to be used with the
  backup/archive client as well as the API client,
  and can be defined either on the command line or in the
  client options file (dsm.opt for UNIX clients).

  TEMPORARY FIX:

  COMMENTS:

  MODULES/MACROS:   EXE      DSMC

  SRLS:      NONE