ADSM-L

Re: Multiple scheduled backup session on a Novell client

2015-10-04 18:13:28
Subject: Re: Multiple scheduled backup session on a Novell client
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 9/17/96 5:33PM
Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
________________________Forward Header________________________
Author: INTERNET.OWNERAD
09-17-96 05:33 PM

     We've been experimenting with the exact same thing and it has been
     working very well... we are running netframes with novell 4.1 and adsm
     2.1.0.? (the latest found at the ftp site as of 3 weeks ago) Our
     server is an RS/6000 w/ AIX 4.1 & ADSM 2.1.0.9
     I can't say what tricks our novell man had to do and he is gone
     already... he is Vince Beers, mail addr is VABeers AT amoco DOT com  I'll
try
     to remember to ask him tomorrow if he had to do anything special but
     in case I forget you can e-mail him directly...
     Other novell notes... the processorutilization option seems to do best
     when set to 20... 25 would    take the cpu to @99% where 20 is a
     little more friendly. We run dsmc's against each logical volume
     defined in the novell environment and send them to a diskpool...
     WE WOULD LIKE TO USE THE -NODE=nodenamevolname SO THAT WITH
     COLLOCATION=YES WE COULD DUMP THEM ALL TO A SINGLE DISKPOOL AND THEN
     TO A SINGLE TAPE POOL AND FORCE (THE EASY WAY) EACH LOGICAL VOLUME TO
     A SEPERATE TAPE SO THAT WITH A COMPLETE RESTORE WE COULD FIRE UP AS
     MANY RESTORES AS WE HAVE TAPE DRIVES BUT THIS WOULD REQUIRE UP TO 10,
     YES TEN LICENSES PER PHYSICAL NODE ! ! !  I've mentioned to others
     that they need to talk to IBM about this but have no idea on their
     progress...
     we have obtained about 6 GB/hr with bkups/restores with 4-6 processes
     dealing with diskpools but those numbers go out the window when you
     look at restores with all your data on one sequential tape... (and no
     logical volume manager for 3590's hint hint hint IBM)
     We were looking into move data's to pull a nodes data from the tape
     back to the diskpool in the event of a full restore (60GB) but the
     move data's run at about 2GB/hr (I believe due to DB update activity)

     Good luck
     later
          DWight

Author:  ADSM-L at unix,mime/dd.RFC-822=ADSM-L\@VM\.MARIST\.EDU