ADSM-L

ANS4243E File name too long

1996-09-17 13:39:11
Subject: ANS4243E File name too long
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 10:39:11 -0700
According to the Messages manual, the above referenced message
indicates that "The file name specified is too long to be handled
by ADSM." The purported system action is that the file is
skipped, however, I have two clients that are failing their
nightly schedule following this error message (the ANS4847E
Scheduled event failed. message occurs at the same time as the
File name too long message).

According to the messages manual, I should look in to the
appropriate "Using the Backup-Archive Client" book for the file
names that are handled by ADSM. A search of the online book for
the Unix client gives no indication as to what the outer limit is
for file names.

Is there any way that I can figure out at least *what* file it is
that is too long, so that I can temporarily exclude it and
continue backing up these machines? Is the file name logged
anywhere? It is not in dsmerror.log on the client side.

Thanks for any help.

What if the Hokey-Pokey              Tom La Porte
is what it's all about?              <tlaporte AT dreamworks DOT com>