ADSM-L

force ADSM to recognize a disk pool is gone

1996-09-16 10:03:36
Subject: force ADSM to recognize a disk pool is gone
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 09:03:36 -0500
I have a weird problem and don't know how to make ADSM realize what is going
on.

One (of several) DASD buffer pools were deleted from ADSM accidentally.
I realized it later and thouhgt well, we will continue with less buffering
area.
That has worked ok except-- apparently when the disk pool was deleted there
were
some files on there that had not yet migrated off to tape.  I assumed that
eventually,
ADSM would realize those files were gone and just make another backup.

That has not happened.  And occasionally, we need to restore a user and it
appears their
last/only backup of a particular file was on that disk.... ADSM fails the
backup saying a required
volume disk A03 is not available.

Can I make ADSM aware those files are gone forever, if I don't know exactly
what nodes had what
files on there at the time of the loss??  I just want ADSM to take another
backup copy of anything
that was on that disk the next time it does a backup.

We are Ver 1 of ADSM/VM
Thanks
Susie McClure
Rice University