ADSM-L

Re: Restoring with gui client in Unix

2015-10-04 18:13:27
Subject: Re: Restoring with gui client in Unix
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 9/11/96 7:07PM
> We do hope to fix this "performance" issue in the next release.  We intend
> to have the trees be dynamic, so that the entire tree does not need to be
> loaded.

My question - are there plans to do the same thing is OS/2?  I would find an
"exploding" tree structure for OS/2 to be a big help.  for example - with OS/2
Warp and NetWare - we get a directory entry for EVERY server in our network (a
big number), and then we get this list again in the backup desktop.  Now we
could debate the intelligence of that with OS/2 developers, but the effect is
a huge map when I do a trree structure of my C drive backup.  Sure would be
nicer (and help performance) if this was all hidden by one (big?) "+"

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com

>To ADSM development group :
>
>I'd like to know if you think ameliorate the unix client when we want
>restore by tree method.
>
>When the client want restore with Restore by tree, we must wating a long
>time before to all structur of the unix tree. In Windows or other client,
>we have only the primary structure of the tree, with + sign when we have
>subdirectory. We can explore the tree to restore files quickly, but in
>unix ( sun, Aix ) we wait a long long time before to have all structur of
>the directory and subdirectory.... This is inacceptable for all my ADSM
>unix clients......
>
>Can I hope amelioration in the futur release ????????

Yves,

We do hope to fix this "performance" issue in the next release.  We intend
to have the trees be dynamic, so that the entire tree does not need to be
loaded.

Cheers,
Brett

Brett Walker                  ADSM Development, IBM
walkerbl AT vnet.ibm DOT com
"That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."
"That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."
      --- Dennis Miller