ADSM-L

ADSM Management Class Question

1996-09-05 10:29:52
Subject: ADSM Management Class Question
From: Jim Larson <jalarson AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 08:29:52 -0600
I am very new to ADSM and have a question concerning Management Classes.
 When the Novell servers were initially set up, an entry in the DSM.OPT
file was added to cause all files to be sent to a different management
class than the default so everything would go directly to 3590 tapes
instead of DASD.  This appears to have worked but now we are seeing
strange things.  After the initial backup, the line was removed from
DSM.OPT for the management class.  This should have caused everything to
go to the default from that point on.  What we are seeing is a tape
mount during the backup process even though there is plenty of room on
DASD for the incremental files.

Now for my question.  If a file was initially backed up to a specific
management class, will it continue to use that class for future backups
of that file?  If so, how can we modify the destination so it goes to
our default management class?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

        Jim