ADSM-L

Solaris root recovery

1996-09-05 01:19:17
Subject: Solaris root recovery
From: Karl-Ake Eriksson <edtken AT UNIXCENTER.ERICSSON DOT SE>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 07:19:17 +0200
Does anyone have any ideas about how to recover a Solaris system disk
using ADSM ?

I have tried to restore an ADSM backup to an empty disk (/, /usr/openwin,
/var, /opt, /usr and /export/home). The resulting system disk is not
bootable (yes, I also installed a boot block). The reason seems to be
that ADSM refuses to backup special system areas (/home, /mnt, /net,
/proc, /tmp, /vol and /xfn). These file systems/directories were missing
on the newly recovered disk. I have tried to persuade ADSM to backup
these areas using the DOMAIN option, but ADSM still ignores them.

I realize that the contents of these areas are probably worthless,
but I think that the directories need to be in place for a working
boot disk.

I have also tried to start the recovery process by installing a minimum
Solaris system on the new disk and then restoring the ADSM backup on
top of that. This method works. It gives me a working, up to date
boot disk.

Is the latter method the best way of doing this or does anyone have
a suggestion of a better (faster) method ?

Regards

Karl-Ake Eriksson