ADSM-L

Q's about weekly, monthly, yearly backups.

2015-10-04 18:13:27
Subject: Q's about weekly, monthly, yearly backups.
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 9/3/96 2:28PM
ADSM is not your father's backup product!   :-)

Because of it's design, and the use of the Data Base, it is not a requirement
to do full backups.  This is supported by the lack of any "easy" way to do a
full backup - you can't just click on "full" and let 'er rip.  The design lets
you always get to the latest copy of the files, thus allowing ADSM to go
directly to the files that made up your disk the last time it was backed up.
Additionally, if you do a full restore, you don't have to do the full volume
and then apply the incrementals or differentials.  Each file is only handled
once.  They are processed in tape order to eliminate back spacing on the tape.
 All of this minimizes network traffic, which in my shop is the critical
resource.

The only argument that I have heard that begins to make sense for full backups
is that a "full" backup allows for the smallest number of tapes to manage.
Perhaps this is true, but I rely on my tape automation system to worry about
that.  ADSM can use a process called collocation to keep files from a user
together on a minimum set of tapes that generally only "belong" to him, so
this is not a strong argument, in my opinion.

Because of this design, we keep things simple here - we just set up a single
policy domain for an area, and tell people to stick ADSM in their Start Up
folders and forget about it - let the scheduler handle the backups for them.
Behind the scenes, the daily incrementals keep popping off without a problem.

As they said in Star Trek 5 "Let go of your pain....."

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com