ADSM-L

Re: AXXiON-NetBackup from Open Vision

1996-08-30 11:46:20
Subject: Re: AXXiON-NetBackup from Open Vision
From: Tom Denier <tom AT STAFF.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 11:46:20 -0400
James Gibson wrote:

> I am using both ADSM and NetBackup.  We are switching to NetBackup for the
> following
> reasons:

[First two reasons deleted]

>   3)  NetBackup supports a variety of hardware and robotic devices - ADSM has
> made
> improvements in this area, but is still behind.

[Further reasons deleted]

> To pick the right product you must deermine your specific needs, assign an
> importance
> value to each requirement, and compare the leading products using the
> requirements
> list.  I am willing to discuss this subject further or to provide my own
> experiences
> with you on both products (E-Mail or Phone).
>
> James Gibson
> Yellow Technology Services
> 913-344-3457

How dows NetBackup compare to ADSM in terms of reporting tape I/O errors?
In particular, do the messages from NetBackup help one decide what action
is appropriate after a tape I/O error (cleaning tape heads, having the
tape drive serviced, retiring the tape the next time it is empty, copying
the tape contents and retiring the tape immediately, or whatever)?
I have never found the I/O error messages ADSM produces and their
associated documentation very useful in this regard. We had an I/O
error during the production of offsite backups a little over two weeks
ago. The error message was extremely vague, and what little it did tell
us did not seem to fit the observed behavior of the ADSM server after
the error. I contacted ADSM support to ask about this. Two weeks and
several telephone conversations later I have still not gotten any
definite answers about the state of our offsite backup tapes and the
corrective action, if any, that we should take. Does the vendor for
NetBackup show a stronger sense of urgency about resolving data
integrity concerns?