ADSM-L

Re: What is the consensus on 8mm tape drives?

1996-08-26 13:37:15
Subject: Re: What is the consensus on 8mm tape drives?
From: Jeffrey Mathers <matherj AT ROCKVAX.ROCKEFELLER DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:37:15 -0500
We are using Exabyte 8205XL drives and they seem to work well. We haven't had
any
errors or file recovery problems. Performance is decent, but we do alot of
migration
from disk pools to the tape pools to improve performance. Essentially the disk
pool
becomes a large staging area that then feeds onto the tape. In this way you can
avoid problems with lots of small files freaking out the database.

We don't use any compression and we are fanatical about maintenance of the
drive.

Reg's
Jeff Mathers
Computer Data Systems Manager