ADSM-L

NT Backups

1996-08-22 14:27:55
Subject: NT Backups
From: Joe Oliver <jnoliver AT EASTMAN DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 14:27:55 -0400
I received the following question from one of my clients. Does anyone have any
information on this? Thanks for any help.
 You may have already been asked this, but just in case.  Windows NT servers
 often maintain files in an "open" state.  Such a state renders ADSM useless
 for NT server backups as these essential "open" files are skipped.

 Other vendors tackle this problem by implementing special "handlers" or
 "agents" which are knowledgeable of the application's files.  The "agents"
 are then able to safely and completely backup application "open" files.

 Does IBM have any plans to implement such "agents" for Windows NT (EXCHANGE
 is the application of most interest at this time?  Other applications will be
 involved later on.) If so what is the timeframe for availability?