ADSM-L

How to get user specific stats of a node?

1996-08-22 07:13:46
Subject: How to get user specific stats of a node?
From: "W. Baur" <Werner.Baur AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:13:46 +0000
I've got a problem which is a result of the fact that ADSM is designed strictly
node oriented not taking into account that one host, resp. node, can hold many,
many users:

We are running a distributed filesystem all over our unix workstations. Every
user has access to every workstation. In order to get the same transparency in
ADSM all user data are backed up using one single node, archive is also done
under this node.
This ends up in a node with 1,900 terabytes and 3,000,000 files spread over
14,000 users. Of course I would be highly interested to get some statistics
about which user is occupying how much space in ADSM. Until now I have not
found a reasonable way to get such data. The closest approach was to get a list
of all
active ADSM users by examining the account file of the server and to do a
`su $u -c 'dsmc q bac|arch $fs' for each found active user $u and each
filespace $fs of the node. Even restricted to the 200 most active users this
procedure must fail because of the simple fact that one run would last for
approx. several hundreds of hours.

Any hints would be higly appreciated.

Werner

Werner Baur
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum     X.400:  S=Baur;OU=lrz;P=lrz-muenchen;A=d400;C=de
Barer Str. 21            RFC822:  Werner.Baur AT lrz-muenchen DOT de
D-80333 Muenchen           Tel.:  ++49-89-28928781
Germany                     Fax:  ++49-89-2809460