ADSM-L

OS/2 disaster recovery

2015-10-04 18:14:04
Subject: OS/2 disaster recovery
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 8/20/96 5:35AM
I cannot speak for Paul Z., who did all of the great work on the Warp version
of the rescue disks, but I belive he only did it under TCP/IP.  I did a lot of
work on the version for OS/2 2.11, and we only did it under TCP/IP.

However, we have many OS/2 clients that only run APPC.  The rescue disks
themselves as we designed them (both Paul and myself) do not care about the
configuration of the machine being restored, other than if they have an
appropriate communications card in them (TR, Ethernet, etc.)   They will use
the TCP/IP that is packaged on the diskettes.  We can boot one of our APPC
machines from the diskettes, use IP for the restore, and when we are done, the
machine is ready to do APPC, just like it always did.  The requirement is
there, however, to have your ADSM support TCP/IP.

One last word - if you are using OS/2 Warp, Paul's execs assume that you have
installed TCP/IP, and if you haven't, then obviously, they won't work.  His
documentation does cover where to find all of the modules you will need,
though.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about APPC to be able to coach anyone on
how to build the diskeetes for APPC.  From what little I know, I would think
it should work, but........

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com