ADSM-L

Re: Erroneous "file stored on offline me

1996-08-15 20:12:23
Subject: Re: Erroneous "file stored on offline me
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 17:12:23 MST
> The tape mount was called from a second management class in which the
>client is enrolled.  Both management classes run from a common database.
> Both management classes run nightly backups in parallel.  This allows us to
>maintain (2) different data retention policies.

>To re-frame my question:  Why would a restore from Management Class A call
>for a media mount from Management Class B?  Does this suggest a problem with
>keeping active and inactive files separate?

I'm having a hard time following this, but will point out a few things that
might help.

o A file's management class is not a consideration during restore processing.
  The management class might determine whether the file is still managed by
  the server and could also influence the storage pool in which the file
  is stored.  However, management class is not a parameter during the actual
  restore.
o Files within a given storage pool are not segregated by management class.
  There is nothing unusual about having files belonging to different
  management classes on the same volume.
o No attempt is made to separate active and inactive files on storage pool
  volumes.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development