ADSM-L

Taking volumes off-line

1996-08-13 22:07:46
Subject: Taking volumes off-line
From: Alan Hamilton <alanh AT PRIMENET DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 19:07:46 -0700
        This has probably come up before, but I'm trying to do a more or less =
"traditional" type backup -- backup files to one or more tapes, unload =
them, and put them somewhere safe.  I don't want to keep doing =
subsequent backups to the same volume, even if the volume isn't full.  =
I'm using AIX 4.1.4 (server and clients), and a 3590E tape drive.
        The simplest way I can see right off is to set the unloaded volumes to =
read-only, so ADSM won't keep trying to write to them.  The other way I =
can see is to create a storage pool for each day.
        Both require a significant amount of fiddling with volume states and/or
=
management settings, and I was wondering if there was a better way.  =
I've looked at setting up a copy storage pool, but the first storage =
pool is tape -- I don't have enough DASD to keep a first storage pool on =
disk, unless it's very small.  The amount of data I have to backup is =
relatively small, so doing a full backup every day is okay.