ADSM-L

Re: New Product features

1996-08-08 13:11:11
Subject: Re: New Product features
From: Brett Walker <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:11:11 -0700
>This note is for any ADSM developers listening:
>
>Is there any possibility in the future for eliminating the limtation on
>only being
>able to restore/retrieve files to the same node type?
>
>This is rather a big problem for shared network drives on servers.

Jeff,

We have considered removing this restriction.  However, users must
understand the inherit problems of allowing this.  For example, Macintosh
files backed up from a Mac are stored in a format that the mac will
understand (resource and data fork).  However, a Mac file stored on an OS/2
Lan Server is stored on the Lan Server in a non-Mac format, and that is how
it is backed up.  So restoring Mac text files (as long as they had no
resource fork) would probably work ok, but anything else would be garbage.

The same goes for NetWare - we back up the data using Novell's SMS (so we
get all the necessary data) - this places the data in a particular format
that the other clients don't understand.  Restoring a file backed up on a
NetWare server to another client type would again give you garbage.

Cheers,
Brett

Brett Walker                  ADSM Development, IBM
walkerbl AT vnet.ibm DOT com
"That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."
"That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."
      --- Dennis Miller