ADSM-L

Re: Turning off forced compression

1996-08-08 12:54:37
Subject: Re: Turning off forced compression
From: Brett Walker <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 09:54:37 -0700
>I have forced compression on at the server for all of my NetWare
>clients.  This seems to be imposing too much added cpu load on the
>file servers.  Is it safe to run this off?  Does the client software
>automatically detect whether or not the incoming data is compressed
>and do the right thing?  Do I need to convert anything?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Chuck
>---
>Chuck Mattern            "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.."
>Sr. Systems Engineer     -Friedrich Nietzsche
>cmattern AT homedepot DOT com   The Home Depot, USA, Inc.
>cmattern AT mindspring DOT com  2455 Paces Ferry Rd.
>                         Atlanta, GA 30339-4024
>                         770-433-8211 ext 84446

Chuck,
The clients do recognize whether the data they are restoring was backed up
with compression on.  They will restore properly.  It is safe to turn
compression on and off at any time.

Cheers,
Brett

Brett Walker                  ADSM Development, IBM
walkerbl AT vnet.ibm DOT com
"That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."
"That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."
      --- Dennis Miller