ADSM-L

Re: customer utilities on adsm ftp server

1996-08-08 10:37:50
Subject: Re: customer utilities on adsm ftp server
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:37:50 EDT
Hi Cyndie,

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:44:21 EDT you said:
>Also, Paul Zarnowski....don't know if we have a copy of your rescue work;
>if you'd like to contribute it as input to our redbook project....or maybe
>just talk to the ITSO guy running the project so he can learn from your
>experiences??
>thanks,
>Cyndie Behrens, IBM - ITSO San Jose, 408-927-3627

I don't know if you have a copy of my rescue work or not, and I can't get
through to your FTP server now to check - it's overloaded right now.

I don't mind contributing the rescue work.  But, it has some problems and
I don't have the time to resolve them.  It would be wonderful if someone
at IBM could take what I've done and make it better, so that others could
use it also.

The gist of the problems are this:  I wrote the rescue stuff to work in
Cornell's environment.  We have ethernet, but no token ring.  Folks that
have tried to use rescue with token ring have run into problems.  I don't
think they are big problems, but without having token ring here it's not
very easy for me to figure them out.

Also, we have (alas) de-emphasized OS/2 here at Cornell, since the time I
first wrote the rescue stuff.  This makes it very hard for me to justify
spending more time on enhancing it for, e.g., new releases of OS/2.

I think someone who was (a) somewhat knowledgeable about OS/2, and (b)
had a bit of time to spend on this, could smooth some of the rough edges
off of the rescue stuff and make it useful to a wider audience.

..Paul

PS:  Having user contributed stuff is good, but what I would really like
     to see is to have "bootable restore" included as part of the base
     product, with a chapter in the User's Guide saying how to do it.