ADSM-L

SMIT or DSMFMT for Logical Volumes

1996-08-06 08:52:00
Subject: SMIT or DSMFMT for Logical Volumes
From: HENDRIX/DAVID <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 12:52:00 CT
One should also note that extending or modifying LVs using SMIT for ADSM
owned partitions is a no-no.

I am still confused about the advantages for DSMFMT defined volumes.  My only
concern so far has been the issue Andy brought up with starting multiple
instances of the server at the same time.  Using raw volumes, this would
cause a problem.  Using JFS, it wouldn't happen.  Unless I am mistaken, IBM
knows about this and should have a fix "real soon now"?

But as far as the rest is concerned, consider when ADSM finally gets it's
act together and allows >2GB partitions.  What does AIX 3.2.5 or 4.1.4 allow
in JFS?  4GB?  Using DSMFMT then, you will be limited not by ADSM, but by
AIX (or any other OS).

Also, given that we mirror everything in the raw paritions, what additional
system level of protection do we need?  You cannot protect a db or log from
software that corrupts the integrity of the db or log.  It seems to me that
it would be much easier to "rm *" your dsmfmt'ed partitions than to remove
a raw logical volume.

'Nough said.  IBM has recommended both methods to us here.

David Hendrix
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com