ADSM-L

Re: Novell Disaster Recovery

1996-08-06 15:58:54
Subject: Re: Novell Disaster Recovery
From: Ken Sears <ksears AT KILCOM1.UCIS.DAL DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 15:58:54 AST
On 31 Jul 96 at 11:10, Chuck Mattern wrote:

> About a week ago we staged a DR test and found that our Novell clients
> restored
> at an initial rate of about 5 megabytes per minute but later taper off to as
> little as <1 megabyte per minute, particularly with large filesystems (around
> 8
> gigabytes).

I went through a similar test where I restored a 7gb volume. Taking
out the delays for tape mounts, we were able to restore in approx. 11
hours which is roughly 10mb min.

> On some occasions I have seem the ADSM client "run out of memory"
> and abend.  On my HP clients the restore throughput is essentially a flat
> line.
>  These observations lead me to believe that the Novell ADSM client is not
> managing his memory well.  In my opinion he should never run out of memory if
> he has enough to start up and read in the list of files to restore.  If data
> is
> bing logged, it should be written out to disk and purged from working memory
> on
> the fly.  I don't see a reason that anything should build up in working
> memory.

I've run into the same problems and agree with your points. With the
7gb restore mentioned above, there were about 240,000 files. Tests
varied but, using the garbage collection defaults and about 60mb of
buffers, ADSM was only able
to examine 156,000 of the 240,000 files before it ran out of memory.
Changing the garbage collection parms to their minimum, the same
restore was able to examine 207,000 files. Since I was going to
upgrade memory anyway, I tried the restore after the upgrade and
everything went fine. This was with about 110mb of memory free.
upgrade memory anyway,

Ken Sears                           Phone: 902-494-3359
Ken Sears                           Phone: 902-494-3359
System Programmer Manager           E-Mail Ken.Sears AT dal DOT ca
Facilities & Operations             Fax:   902-494-2319
Computer Ctr/Killam Library
Dalhousie University
Halifax, N.S   B3H 4H8
Canada

Thought for the day:
    When I die, I'd like to die in my sleep like my
    grandfather. Not like all of his screaming passengers.