ADSM-L

Re: 3590 High Performance Tape Subsystem with the Magstar

1996-08-06 14:53:41
Subject: Re: 3590 High Performance Tape Subsystem with the Magstar
From: Michael Louie <michael.louie AT CORP.VARIAN DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 11:53:41 -0700
John,

Varian is also running SAP/R3 environment with Oracle. The backup rate will
depend on your hardware configuration and the SAP Filesystems disk layout.
Our backup rate is about 7GB/hr for a single stream. 13.365GByte/hour is the
best time for two streams after making a number of changes to the SAP
Filesystems disk layout. We have compress mode off.

The ADSM architecture does not permit us to "interleave" or "multiplex"
multiple backup streams or sessions onto a single tape drive to take
advantage of the 3590's speed. This is an issue for us. I have complaint
this to IBM. The 3590 tape drive is NOT cheap.