ADSM-L

Re: DB copy accuracy

1996-08-06 11:49:33
Subject: Re: DB copy accuracy
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 08:49:33 PDT
Julie Phinney asks:

>Our disk pools start copying to off-site storage at 6 am.  Our tape
>pool starts at 7 am.  The database copy for off-site is at 10 am.  I
>was wondering, what happens when occasionally we have backups still
>running from the night before when the disk pool copy completes, and
>before the database copy starts.  Then the db copy would be out-of-sync
>with the stg pool copies, right?  Would that be easy to correct in the
>event of a complete disaster recovery, with some kind of audit command?

If client backups are still running while the BACKUP STGPOOL commands are
running, then you are subject to having your copy storage pools out of sync
with the primary storage pools. But if there are no client sessions running
when the BACKUP DB is running, the the database backup will have an accurate
reflection of what is in the copy storage pool.

Net result is that this morning's copy storage pool may not have all of last
night's backups in it. However, from an ADSM integrity point of view, every-
thing is sound. But if you had to use that copy storage pool to restore from,
there would be a potential client data synchronization issue.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support
408-256-0130