ADSM-L

Re: Macintosh node autorization

2015-10-04 18:14:03
Subject: Re: Macintosh node autorization
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 8/6/96 8:48AM
As I understand it, the reason is fairly straight forward - the individual
clients only know how to "speak" in the manner of the file systems that are
native to them.  That is why, for example, and OS/2 client can restore FAT and
HPFS, while other clients might only understand HPFS.  Your OS/2 client can't
understand the MAC file system, and so therefore doesn't show up when you go
through the Set authorization process.  The same process holds true for
NetWare servers - the NetWare File system is only understandable (in Native
form) to other NetWare servers - you can't "see" the backups from a Windows
machine, etc.

In some situations (such as the NetWare example) I too would like to see the
file systems - would make restoring a lot easier, as you have pointed out.
However, that would mean that each client would have to understand ALL
possible file systems - something that might really be a problem.

But then again, I may be all wet.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com

PS.  Jeff, can you send me your e-mail address - I would like to talk to you
offline about your ADSM age, and also your OS/2 setup.