ADSM-L

TCP/IP connection failure

1996-08-02 11:46:06
Subject: TCP/IP connection failure
From: Mike Knight <knightm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:46:06 EDT
From: Mike Knight, ISSC Aerospace, (314)234-5096, KNIGHTM at ISSCVM
Inet:                                             KNIGHTM AT VNET.IBM DOT COM

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996 10:21:38 +0200, Oliver Elsenheimer commented:

>one of my lovely ;-) users created a directory named "*", very clever.
>On my HP 9000/K100 ADSM client (2.1.03) the backup process halted:
>
>17:08:07  ANS4304W Active object not found
>17:08:07  TcpRead: Error reading data, rc: 232
>17:08:07  sessRecvVerb: Error -50 from call to 'readRtn'.
>17:08:07  ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection failure
>
>17:08:07  ANS4847E Scheduled event 'HPUXBACKUP' failed.  Return code= 1.
>
>Has anybody got an idea why ADSM ended with TCP/IP connection failure?
>Why can ADSM simply ignore and go on?

We had the same problem with user directories named "*".  In our case
it caused the dsmc schedule process to crash with a core dump.  There
were random messages before the crash.  The backup worked when we ran
it manually.

>After removing the directory "*" everything worked fine again.
>
>Take care of your users and remove all wildcards in directories.

Our problem finally resulted in documentation APAR IC11959 which says,
    ...  you cannot specify a directory whose name is an asterisk (*) or a
    question mark (?)  with an ADSM command.  ADSM will recognize those
    characters only as wildcard characters.
    Additional information:  Due to this restriction ADSM is not able to
    backup a file or directory containing an * or ? even on a full backup.

         Mike (Just another user) Knight