ADSM-L

Implementing collocation?

2015-10-04 18:14:03
Subject: Implementing collocation?
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 7/31/96 6:22PM
I don't think I have a complete answer for you, but I will start the responses
rolling with my own experience here - perhaps someone else can fill in the
gaps.

We did something very similar to what you did, although it was in the other
direction - we had everyone collocated, and then chose to have our PC backups
not collocated, due to the number of nodes, and the number of potential
partially filled tapes associated with that.  So we split into two pools, and
kept the servers collocated, etc..  However, since this was not (at the time)
covered by a disaster recovery pool, we did not try to move data from pool to
pool - we just left it there.  :-)

>  1. Is there some way to move the _existing_ files in ADSM
>    storage pools for these servers into the new collocated
>    storage pool?

Since you are not collocated to begin with, I am not aware of any way to do
this that you haven't already mentioned.  MOVE DATA works on a volume basis,
and thus doesn't help in your configuration.  The only thing I could think of
was an Export/Import operation.

>  2. Is the separate policy domain the right way to do all this,
>    or should I be reorganining this at a different level of
>    the storage hierarchy?

IMO - you have the right approach.  Actually, I can't think of a different
way, but it is early.  :-)

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com