ADSM-L

ADSM or MAC problem?

1996-07-31 19:08:34
Subject: ADSM or MAC problem?
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 16:08:34 -0700
Re: Note from you attached below

>Can anyone help with the following situation?  I am not MAC literate.
>Could this fall under the OpenTransport problem?
>

>>I use ADSM Backup Ver 2 Release 1 on a Mac Performa 636 system 7.5 with a
>>14.4 modem using a PPP connection. Usually I start the Backup before
>>retiring at night, and quit ADSM in the morning.
>>
>>The problem I have is that my PPP connection is dropped during the night
>>after ADSM is finished backing up, apparently causing ADSM a great deal of
>>separation anxiety, so much so that it can't QUIT.  The only way I can get
>>rid of ADSM is to do a FORCED QUIT, which sometimes works and sometimes
>>causes my MAC to freeze so thoroughly that the only way to thaw it out is
>>to unplug it.
>>
>>Is there something I can do to get ADSM to quit after a PPP connection has
>>been dropped?

I don't know whether you're running OpenTransport or MacTCP.  It wouldn't
suprise me that there would be problem with OpenTransport, and how it might
interact with your PPP software.  You could try going back to classic
networking (MacTCP), and see if that fixes the problem.  Or upgrade to
the latest PPP (are you using FreePPP?).

If you use the ADSM Scheduler, there is an option that will shutdown the
Mac upon completion.  You can put
   SCHEDCOMPLETEACTION   SHUTDOWN
in the prefs file.  Changing SHUTDOWN to QUIT will cause ADSM to quit.
But these options don't work with the non-schedule client.

Hope this helps...

Brett Walker
ADSM Development