ADSM-L

Re: AW: ADSM and CA-1 and ADSM DB backups.

1996-07-23 12:35:12
Subject: Re: AW: ADSM and CA-1 and ADSM DB backups.
From: Mike Wilson <mwilson6 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 11:35:12 -0500
At 06:32 PM 7/23/96 +0200, you wrote:

>     Hello Mike,
>
>          one important thing to think about is the fact, that TMSTMSTV
does not
>     check which system is freeing the tape and whether it is the owner of the
>     tape.
>
>     So, if you use more than one EDM system (such as HSM or SAMS and ADSM)
there
>     is a hole.
>     We had the situation, that a tape was freed by ADSM (by delete volhist
>     dbbackup), which was actually a SAMS-tape and also from the other side
SAMS
>     freed a tape belonging to ADSM.
>
>     Of course this can only occur if something went wrong before, but I
changed
>     the TMSTMSTV routine to check the EDMID in the CA1 TMC and the calling
>     programm (ADSM or SAMS).
>
>     If there is no match, then issue a message and do nothing.
>
>     I hope, this will help you.
>

>     Rolf Meyer
>     D-22605 Hamburg
>     rolf.meyer AT hamburg.reemtsma.atlas400 DOT de

We ran into this exact same problem about 2 months ago and ended up
destroying a number of DFHSM tapes. We called CA about the exit and they
said they would enhance it to check the EDMID. Will ask our CA support
person to check on the status of this.
Mike Wilson
Storage Administration
Texas Utilities