ADSM-L

Re: Safe use of scratch tapes

1996-07-22 16:58:39
Subject: Re: Safe use of scratch tapes
From: Rick Tsujimoto <rtsujimoto AT CUSA.CANON DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 15:58:39 EST
     We also run ADSM V1, along with TLMS (a CA tape mgm't system), and had
     similar questions to yours.  Since ADSM does not provide a way for
     users to specifiy/override the tape data set name (not just the
     prefix), we took the following approach:

        1. block off a series of tape volsers, e.g. 991000-991500.
        2. modify the TLMS exit to ensure that ADSM, and only ADSM could
           use the above tape volsers.
        3. make sure the above tapes are marked "private" in the TLMS data
           base (I think SMS has to be told about the tape's status as
           well, though it escapes me how or what)
        4. define the tape volsers to ADSM

     This approach ensures that ADSM can track its tapes and has exclusive
     rights to them as well.  If you're using a tape management system,
     there probably is some sort of user exit that allows you validate a
     user's/job's rights to a tape.

  *  Rick Tsujimoto                                   *
  *  rtsujimoto AT cusa.canon DOT com                        *
  *  tel: 516-328-4554                                *
  *  fax: 516-328-4369                                *