ADSM-L

ADSM and CA-1 and ADSM DB backups.

1996-07-22 09:02:00
Subject: ADSM and CA-1 and ADSM DB backups.
From: Micheal Cotton <mikec%mmailgt{COMPDIVNET/CCKNETPO/MikeC}@MHS.CSTAT.CO.ZA>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 15:02:00 +0200
Hello everyone,

I have had some answers from Computer Associate in the form of the following
FAQ's.

How to setup adsm interface to CA-1?

"Add ADSM a EDM in TMOEMxx and link tmsarctv as arctvext."

If HSM already been set up as EDM how to add ADSM? What to do inCA-1

"Have ADSM call the ARCTVEXT when it releases tapes so that we will scratch
them. Setup an entry inthe TMOEDMxx in PPOPTION for ADSM to be treated as
EDM."

Using ADSM to archive data. TMSARCTV, TMSTSMTV, can these be used by ADSM?

"Yes. Need to set up TMOEDMxx to markthese tapes as EDM, tell ADSM that it
should call TMSARCTV to release these tapes.
Will need to change existing tapes to EDM."

TMSTMSTV-08 for ADSM tape (EXPIRE IGNORED, NOT EXTERNALLY MANAGED)?

"TMOEDMxx was not setup for ADSM when the tape was created, thus it was
nottttttttttttt flagged as EDM. Discussed TMOEDM entry for ADSM. It is
sufficient to specify EDM=ADSM- if all datasets starting with ADSM should be
externally managed."

User says ADSM tapes not being scratched. User wants to manualy change
outcode so some tapes go to vault, how do we bring tape back?

"1 user will relink tmsarctv to arcvext in adsm loadlib.
 2 we will bring back tape when it expires or user can do a double checkin."

Client specified EDM=ADSM,DSN=T.BB- inTMOEDM but also tapes with DSN=T.DD-
got EXPDT=PERM. Why?

"For these datasets the EDM bit in FLAG3 was not turned on and there is no
EDMID, htus the EXPDT=PERM must have been passed to CA-1 from ADSM. Client
will check ADSM options."

How to set up ADSM interface?

"ADSN calls ARCTVEXT. Use usermod UMDHSM1 (member SNPHSM in CA-1 SAMPLIB) to
link TMSARCTV as ARCTVEXT and define ADSM a EDM in TMOEDM."

Installed ADSM (backup utility) it has a tape volume scratch exit. How can
CA-1 be used with this exit?

"Set ADSM up as EDM. Also referred him to CA-1 SYSTEM PROGRAMMERS GUIDE
1-61."

I hope the above is of use to some of you. We put changes in on Friday and I
am checking out their effect at the moment.

I ahve a further query myself - how do I find out which ADSM database backup
cartridge volumes are still valid? Obviously Query Volume doesn't tell meand
Q VOLH gives me lots of them but none seem ever to become scratch. My
understanding was that after the incremental cycle was done and a full DB
backup had happened then the old ones would be returned as scratch - this
does not seem to be the case.

Any clues??

Cheers

Mike