ADSM-L

Re: Handling of character special files, block special files, or FIFO files

1996-07-19 10:21:24
Subject: Re: Handling of character special files, block special files, or FIFO files
From: Chuck Mattern <cam03 AT HOMEDEPOT DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 10:21:24 -0400
On Jul 17,  4:50pm, Belcher, Tamera L wrote:
> Subject: Handling of character special files, block special files, or FIFO
> The README file for the HPUX 10.x client code has the following
> statement in the KNOWN PROBLEMS section:
>
> *       ADSM backups up regular files and directories.  It does not backup
> character files, block special files or FIFO files (named pipe files).
> Raw devices are not supported at this time.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on different ways to provide recovery of
> these files with as little pain and intervention as possible?
>
> We are running ADSM 2.1.7 on an MVS server.  We are attempting to
> support an environment of approximately 8000 large file servers.  The
> requirement is to provide full system disaster recovery capability with
> as few tools as possible.  (The real desire is to have ADSM be the only
> tool).

I am in the process of updating our system.  We have a script have a script
which I am going to call with preschedulecmd.  This script uses find to locate
all special files (pipes, volume group and logical volume device files, etc)
and passes this to cpio to create a file that is then backed up in the regular
adsm incremental backup.  Until recently we did not include the lvm stuff,
however one near brush with disaster cured me of this foolishness.  In the
event of a total disaster (for instance a nuclear meltdown) I boot from install
media, install adsm and recover my configs, update all of the lvm stuff then
restore the data.  We're hoping to get something going with a bootable tape
that includes adsm but thats for the next revision.

Regards,
Chuck